Maury is fortunate to have before-school care provided at Maury by Polite Piggy’s Day Camp and three options for afterschool care, also offered at Maury: the DCPS Afterschool Program, Polite Piggy’s Day Camp, and Havner Aftercare.
DCPS Afterschool Program
Evidence indicates that participation in high-quality afterschool programs has been proven to improve school attendance, academic achievement and attitudes toward learning. In addition, students attending three hours of afterschool programming each day gain the equivalent of nearly four months of learning time. The DCPS Afterschool Program allows students to participate in academic and extracurricular enrichment activities as well as develop new hobbies and skills. Community based organizations (CBO’s) and DCPS teachers and aides provide a variety of unique programming options to students. At Maury, many academic and extra-curricular activities are offered after school. They complement extra-curricular enrichment opportunities offered before or during school hours such as chess, band, choir, arts clubs, and book clubs.
Students who attend the DCPS Afterschool Program (ASP) participate in an academic Power Hour, which reinforces classroom lessons and skills in creative ways. Homework assistance and tutoring is also provided. Participants also get to explore an array of enrichment, athletic, and wellness activities, such as cheerleading, basketball, tennis, soccer, Girls on the Run (track and fitness), Tae Kwon Do, and the Ski Club. Note that these activities are open to varying age ranges. Extramural sports offered after school vary each season. Maury teams compete against other DC public schools in the winter. Some afterschool activities, although administered and supervised by the Afterschool Program, are parent-led (e.g. cheerleading, girl scouts, cub scouts). The DCPS Afterschool Program also offers a healthy light supper to students at no additional cost. The supper portions are consistent with the USDA food pyramid.
The Maury Afterschool Program is administered by the Maury Out of School Time (OST) Coordinator, LaTroy Bailey. Ms. Bailey responds to DCPS’ Office of Out of School Time and the school principal. Ms. Bailey also oversees private providers of afterschool programming such as Polite Piggy’s. The
DCPS Afterschool Program runs from 3:15pm to 6:00pm and is in session on all the days school is in session, with the exception of “half-days”, when students are let out at 12:15pm (NO afterschool care is offered on “half-days”!). All students attending Maury Elementary School may enroll in the DCPS Afterschool Program regardless of age.
Enrollment and fees:
- Enrollment fee (SY 2012/13): $0 – $50/week depending on income
- Children not enrolled in the Afterschool Program may attend single program components (e.g. scouting, cheerleading) during the specific times they take place. They need to be taken to and from the program by a parent or guardian and have a complete DCPS enrollment form and an
- activity permission slip on file with Afterschool Coordinator (Ms. Bailey).
- ASP is NOT responsible for students that are not fully enrolled in the Afterschool Program. Children not enrolled in ASP must be supervised by an adult while on school grounds after 3:15 pm.
- Parents and guardians picking children up from the Afterschool Program and its contracting partners must respect school pick-up procedures.
- Questions or grievances during afterschool hours that cannot be readily handled by the school front office should be addressed to Ms. Bailey.
- Enrollment will begin on 8/20/12. For enrollment documentation and additional information, consult the DCPS website: http://dcps.dc.gov/DCPS/Beyond+the+Classroom/Afterschool+Programs
- For additional information, current fee structure, and enrollment information for the Maury Afterschool Program, please contact LaTroy Bailey at (202) 698-3829 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Maury also has a Cub Scout Pack–check out their website to learn more!
- Starting on January 24, Maury will offer Chess Wizards classes every Thursday from 5:00-6:00PM (for an extra fee); register in the Maury office or at www.chesswizards.com
Polite Piggy’s Day Camp
Maury also houses Polite Piggy’s Day Camp, a private provider specialized in care for elementary school-aged children. Polite Piggy’s Day Camp/SYSTEM’s (Grades One and Up) is a comprehensive out of school time program which offers services to families before school, after school, half days, professional development days, teacher record keeping days and winter, spring and summer breaks. We have been in operation since 2007 servicing Maury families. Polite Piggy’s offers daily programming to meet the academic, social and physical needs of our children and as our babies got older we started another facet called SYSTEM’s or Successful Youth in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. SYSTEM’s Day Camp was created for our older children because they have very different needs and interests than children ages 3-5 in Polite Piggy’s. SYSTEM’s offer daily choice activities for students in grades one and up.
Polite Piggy’s operates on all full school days and runs from 3:15pm to 6:00pm.
Enrollment and fees:
- The cost for Polite Piggy’s is assessed on a sliding scale based on income, up to $85 per week for aftercare only. Before care is $30 per week. A $50 registration fee is assessed as well as a monthly activities fee based on the programming model chosen.
- On non school days, the cost is $50 per full day for care from 8 am to 6 pm (families send lunch).
- The third quarter schedule (starting in January) is available here: Polite Piggy Cycle 3 schedule (January 2013)
- For additional information and up to date information, join Polite Piggy’s on FaceBook or check out its website (www.politepiggysdaycamp.com). For questions, feel free to contact its director, VanNessa Duckett, at email@example.com or 240-396-8957.
There must be an opportunity for kids to unwind, get exercise, build social and emotional connections with kids outside their classroom as well as learn something new. Havner Aftercare (www.havneraftercare.com) will provide homework help, chess instruction, percussion exploration, singing, dancing, building and sharing in addition to one hour of Spanish instruction each afternoon from 4:30 – 5:30pm. They use a responsive Pedagogy in aftercare to develop rules and logical consequence as well as a meaningful and accessible way for kids to address conflict. They give kids the opportunity (provided they are dressed for it and healthy!) to get outside every single day, rain, snow, or shine.
Children will not become fluent through their work after school. That said, the staff will include two native Spanish speakers and three fluent Spanish speakers. The curriculum gives hands on experience with the aspects of Spanish that will be the most relevant to your children (check the program out at www.sonrisasspanishschool.com). They will supplement the reading and writing work with art projects, neighborhood Spanish walks, songs, skits, and games. The goal is that your children build lasting connections between Spanish and English AND cultivate a love of the language.
Enrollment and fees:
- Rates per child per month based on the number of days child/ren will attend.
- 4 or 5 days per week = $270 per month
- 3 days per week = $240 per month
- 2 days per week – $170 per month
Parents with kids attending FEWER than full-time are asked to pick days they can stick to. While it can be confusing for children to alter their schedule on the fly, a drop-in rate for children who are enrolled less than full time is $20 per day. (Say your child comes every week on Wednesday,
Thursday and Friday but you need her to come one Monday, the cost would be $20 for that day). Havner Aftercare is open on DCPS one-half days.
Havner Aftercare will be open each school day until 6 pm sharp. A charge of $1 per minute late fee that will increase to $2 per minute at 6:05. It works to everyone’s benefit if you arrange with other parents to collect each other’s kids on those days when you are held up by traffic, the weather, or work.
- Payment is due on the first of the month. They will accept online payment through their website as well as checks, money orders and cash. Payment received after the tenth of the month will incur a $15 late fee.
- Havner Aftercare is committed to reflecting the diversity that makes Maury a strong school. If your child receives a free or reduced-price lunch at Maury please let us know – they offer a sliding tuition scale